What is Digital OPG?
- An OPG which refers to ORTHOPANTOGRAM , provides a panoramic look of the mandible and teeth.
- It is done by applying a technique known as “tomography”.
- The X-ray tube goes over the head, the x-ray film goes in the opposite direction behind the head.
- This promotes an image slice in which the mandible and teeth are under care, and the various structures are blurred.
The anatomy includes the following parts of the body, that are:-
- Aramus and angle of mandible.
- Coronoid process.
- Mandibular notch
- Condyle of mandible.
- Alveolar ridge.
- Symphysis menti.
- Maxillary sinuses.
- Nasal fossae, 16 upper and 16 lower teeth.
- The mouth is classified into four sections known as quadrants upper as well as lower right quadrant and upper as well as lower left quadrant.
- The numbers 1 through 8 are applied for labeling each of
the teeth in all kinds of four quadrants.
- The numbering varies from the middle of the mouth to the back.
- In Adults they have 32 teeth.
- Teeth ordered 1and 2 in each quadrant are called incisors.
- The third tooth is referred to as canine.
- Numbers 4 and 5 are referred to as premolar.
- Numbers 6,7 and 8 are referred to as molars.
- The 8th tooth also known as 3rd molar are normally called wisdom teeth.
- Pediatric OPG presenting the adult teeth at the top of the gum line.
Reasons for OPG requests
– Caries – visible as different shaped kinds of radiolucency located in the crowns and necks of teeth.
– Periodontitis – these occurs due to the inflammation expands into the underlying alveolar bone as well as there is a reduction of attachment.
– Periodontal Abscess – Radiolucent area revolve around the roots of the teeth.
– Extraction of teeth for eg- wisdom teeth.
– OPG presents angulation/ shape of roots/ area and shape of crown/ damage on other teeth.
- To appear for evidence of any underlying dental disorders for example- abscess.
- Patients on steroids later the transplant are immunosuppressed as well as the mouth is a common site of damage.
X-ray detectors consists of the following:-
- High resolution scintillator technologies and standardized Ethernet connectivities.
- Obtaining pictures to be ported simply to a computer for processing.
- Passing through a hard radiation sensor fabrication procedure to ensure its longevity and picture quality which is immune for X-ray radiation degradation across time.
- This means a person will be eligible to acquire the exactly high qualified images over and over, and receive consistent results around the lifetime of one’s modality.
- Detector also applies the trending advancements in MEMS technology to support the typical gaps between individual picture sensors in assembly near the default pixel size.
- This also advantages detectors in terms of planarity, which means the exact high image is qualified and maintained throughout the entire field of look of the detector.