Infection control in a dental setup is one of the most important aspects that we look into. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the manner in which we were functioning and following sterilization protocol has changed. We follow the guidelines laid down by The Indian Dental Association because patient safety comes first.
Some of these are mentioned below:
Patient is screened for COVID history (including vaccination). The patient appointment is planned after ensuring patient safety after the doctor’s assessment. No two appointments are given at same time and sufficient gap is given for the next appointment to disinfect the operatory and get it ready for the next patient.
Following steps are taken before the patient is attended to by the doctor
- Patient has to sanitize their hands with a foot operated hand sanitizer stand situated outside the reception door.
- Temperature is checked with an infrared thermometer and blood oxygen levels are checked with a pulse oximeter
- Patient has to sign the COVID-19 pandemic emergency treatment consent form by the Indian Dental Association.
- Adequate ventilation is ensured.
- Personnel protective equipment (PPE): It is worn by the doctor and dental assistant for the patient and their safety. After the treatment is over, these are handled safely for autoclaving.
- Protective eye wear and visor: It is worn by the doctor and dental assistant to protect their eyes and face from spatters and aerosol generated during dental procedures.
- Mouth Mask: The doctor and dental assistant wear N95/FFP2 mouth mask. An additional surgical mask is worn over it.
- Shoe cover: The doctor, dental assistant and patient are made to wear shoe covers to maintain hygiene and cleanliness of the operatory.
- Head cover: The doctor and dental assistant wear head caps for patients and their safety.
- Digital modes: of payment are preferred.
- Vaccination: Our entire team is fully vaccinated.
- The entire operatory is cleaned.
- All waste is disposed off according to biomedical waste disposal guidelines
- Sterilization of all equipment and surfaces is done.
- Disinfection with UV light is done for 15 minutes.